2024 ,近半數世界人口—40億人口—超過五十個國家—投票參與全國性的選舉。兩極分化與網路干預,影響許多國家的選情,挑戰全球民主的韌性。這是台灣民主轉型的故事,在民主處於全球危機時,透過唐鳳視角所見。
In 2024, nearly half the world's population, around 4 billion people across more than 50 countries, participated in national elections. Polarization and cyber interference disrupted many of these elections, testing the resilience of democracies worldwide. This is the story of Taiwan's democratic transformation as seen through Audrey Tang's eyes, amid a global crisis for democracy.
| 時間 | Eglish | 中文 |
| 1:01 | Taiwan is, by many accounts, the most democratic place in all of Asia. | 從許多方面來看,臺灣是整個亞洲最民主的地方 |
| 1:10 | But yet, we're acutely aware that if tension arise, if tensions escalate, | 但是,我們也深刻意識到,如果緊張升高,如果局勢升級 |
| 1:17 | we can lose our democracy just with a couple of missiles. | 我們的民主,可能會在幾枚導彈下失去 |
| 1:24 | This awareness that everything can be reset tomorrow, and the strength and resilience coexist in Taiwanese democracy. | 意識到一切都可能在明天重置,這種力量和韌性共存於臺灣民主之中 |
| 1:34 | And this is something that I also feel in my own body. | 這也是我在自己身上感受到的 |
| 2:01 | One of my first memories is of my heart beating quickly and then fainting. | 我最初的記憶之一,是我的心跳加速,然後暈倒 |
| 2:08 | It all turns into black. | 一切都變黑了 |
| 2:12 | I was born with a heart defect. | 我出生時有心臟缺陷 |
| 2:15 | If my heartbeat increases above a certain level, I have a 50/50 chance of surviving. | 如果我的心跳超過某個速度,我只有 50% 的機會活下來 |
| 2:24 | I could die. | 我可能會死 |
| 2:27 | I remember going to sleep just thinking, okay, it's like a coin flip. | 我記得入睡時只是想,「好吧,這就像擲硬幣一樣 |
| 2:32 | If it comes up tails, then maybe I don't wake up the next day. | 如果是反面朝上,也許我第二天就醒不過來了。」 |
| 2:49 | As a child, I was very curious. | 小時候,我非常好奇 |
| 2:54 | I bombarded my parents aunts and uncle, grandparents with questions. | 我向父母、阿姨、叔叔、祖父母問了一連串問題 |
| 3:00 | What are ozones? How can we know it's growing thinner if we cannot see it? | 「什麼是臭氧層?如果我們看不見它,我們怎麼知道它變薄了?」 |
| 3:05 | What are solar flares? What happens to Earth when the sun dies out? | 「什麼是太陽閃焰?當太陽熄滅時,地球會發生什麼事?」 |
| 3:08 | Are there particles faster than light? | 「有比光速還快的粒子嗎?」 |
| 3:17 | We realized Audrey was very smart. Audrey started reading books at a young age. | 他長大了,而且他很小的時候,因為他很聰明,所以他很快就會念書了 |
| 3:25 | I intentionally bought many books | 我就知道這個狀況,我就故意去買很多自然科學和數學的書 |
| 3:28 | on natural sciences and mathematics and placed them on the shelf, | 我就知道這個狀況,我就故意去買很多自然科學和數學的書 擺到書架上,我還沒有看,他全看了 |
| 3:30 | which Audrey read, even though I hadn't. | 擺到書架上,我還沒有看,他全看了 |
| 3:32 | My husband was a political columnist. I served as a chief political reporter. | 我們家先生是政治專欄的記者,我當過首席黨政 |
| 3:37 | He studied politics, I studied law. | 我先生是學政治的,我是學法律的 |
| 3:40 | My parents were political journalists. | 我的父母是政治記者 |
| 3:43 | I was raised among Tiananmen exiles. | 我在天安門流亡者中長大 |
| 3:47 | In our living room, sometimes my dad will invite the very young people, | 在我們家客廳裡,有時爸爸會邀請非常年輕的 |
| 3:52 | undergrad level students who were exiles | 大學生,天安門運動的流亡者 |
| 3:55 | from the Tiananmen Movement, to talk about the future of democracy. | 大學生,天安門運動的流亡者 談論民主的未來 |
| 4:01 | Because of the diversity of my caretakers,I would easily get five or six very different perspectiveswithin my family, and they’re all honest. | 由於我的照顧者很多元化,我可以很容易在家人中,得到五六個非常不同的觀點 而且他們都很誠實 |
| 4:12 | There could be so many different perspective on any simple question. | 任何一個簡單的問題,都可能有如此多不同的觀點 |
| 4:16 | This instilled in me this idea of pluralism. | 這培養了我多元主義的理念 |
| 4:20 | Nothing can be simply reduced to just one or two truisms. | 沒有什麼可以簡單地歸結為一兩句真理 |
| 4:26 | Audrey grew up like this, very happily. | 他就這樣長大,很快樂地長大 |
| 4:29 | And then Audrey went to school. | 然後到他上學 |
| 4:38 | Audrey was very young, very fragile. | 因為他那時候很小,他很脆弱 |
| 4:42 | Later I found out there was bullying in school. | 後來知道學校有霸凌 |
| 4:45 | I saw Audrey in pain every day. | 我每天看他痛苦 |
| 4:49 | That school practiced corporal punishment. | 那個學校是會體罰的學校 |
| 4:53 | Yeah. | 對 |
| 4:54 | Corporal punishment is a terrible act of violence. | 體罰是一個很可怕的暴力行為 |
| 4:58 | Such uniform teaching with a one-size-fits-all approach, | 這樣子的好老師,齊一的教學、齊一的教法 |
| 5:02 | combined with competitive mindset from parents | 競爭性的家長的觀念 |
| 5:05 | led to competitive attitudes amongst the children. | 或者是孩子充滿比較心的對待 |
| 5:12 | When I was eight years old, I transferred into this class of gifted children. | 當我 8 歲時,我轉學到資優班 |
| 5:18 | I consistently score top of the class, and the second of the class said to me, | 我一直是班上成績最好的,班上成績第二的對我說 |
| 5:24 | if you just die, then I would be top of the class. | 「如果你死了,我就是班上第一了。」 |
| 5:30 | I got beaten up repeatedly. | 我被反覆毆打 |
| 5:34 | They would just push me down. | 他們會把我推倒在地 |
| 5:36 | That became almost a daily routine. | 那幾乎成了每天的慣例 |
| 5:41 | And so I said to my mom, there's something wrong here, right?Either I'm wrong or something is wrong with the world.I remember one day I helped Audrey take a bath, Then I saw a big bruise on Audrey’s body. | 所以我對媽媽說,「這裡有點不對勁,對吧?要麼是我錯了,要麼是這個世界哪裡出了問題。」 記得有一天,我幫他洗澡,他身上很大的一塊烏青 |
| 5:58 | Audrey just turned to me and said, “Mom, do you still want me to go to school?” | 然後他跟我說:「媽媽,你還要我繼續去上學嗎? |
| 6:03 | “Do you really want me to continue going to school?” | 你真的還要我去上學嗎?」 |
| 6:07 | I was really scared that Audrey would die by suicide. | 那個時候,我很害怕他真的會去死掉 |
| 6:11 | I told Audrey, you are very young. | 我跟他講說:「你還很小 |
| 6:14 | You are too young to understand how much power you will have to change the world. | 你現在還小到,你不知道以後你可以有多少的力量 來改變這個世界 |
| 6:21 | Let’s do homeschooling. We can learn by ourselves. | 我們回家吧,我們自己學。」 |
| 6:25 | I realized I must bring Audrey back in and push the world out. | 所以我那時就想,我必須把他救回來,所以我把世界推出去 |
| 6:42 | At that time, Taiwan had just begun to promote computers. | 當時,臺灣剛剛開始推廣電腦 |
| 6:47 | I really, really wanted a personal computer that I can practice programming on. | 我非常、非常想要一台個人電腦來練習寫程式 |
| 6:54 | So I asked my mom, please, please give me a computer. | 所以我求媽媽:「拜託,請給我一台電腦。」 |
| 6:58 | I told Audrey no, children shouldn’t play video games. | 我就跟他講:「不要,小孩子玩什麼電玩?」 |
| 7:02 | Then, one day I saw Audrey there | 然後,後來是我不小心有一天看到他在那個地方 |
| 7:07 | drawing a keyboard on a piece of paper | 把一個鍵盤畫在一個紙上 |
| 7:10 | then hitting delete then taking an eraser and erase erase erase erase it all away! | 然後打一個「Delete」,然後就拿一個橡皮擦,嘟嘟嘟把它擦掉 |
| 7:17 | I've always loved mathematics. The ability to see similarities in very different systems. | 我一直熱愛數學,能夠看到截然不同系統中的相似之處 |
| 7:26 | I saw calculators and eventually computers as the very beginning of a new world. | 我認為計算機,然後是電腦,是一個新世界的開始 |
| 7:32 | Audrey said, this is future technology. A new information age will come. | 他說:「這是屬於未來科技,新的資訊時代會來的。」 |
| 7:38 | So I bought Audrey a computer. | 然後,所以我就給他買了電腦 |
| 7:46 | President Chiang Ching-Kuo proclaimed that martial law in Taiwan has ended after 38 years | 蔣經國總統宣布,臺灣戒嚴 38 年後解嚴 |
| 7:53 | since 1949, when martial law was imposed, security agencies could arrest "almost anyone at will, with lengthy beatings and torture occurring frequently." | 自從 1949 年戒嚴以來,國安部門幾乎可以任意逮捕任何人 長時間的毆打和酷刑頻繁發生 |
| 8:04 | It is estimated that over the past four decades,between 22,000 and 32,000 civilians were executed. | 長時間的毆打和酷刑頻繁發生 據估計,在過去 40 年裡,有 2.2 萬到 3.2 萬平民被處決 |
| 8:13 | While the Ministry of Defense announced the release of 23 prisoners,several prominent opposition leaders remain jailed. | 雖然國防部宣布釋放 23 名囚犯 |
| 8:17 | Pro-democracy activists are urging Taiwanese citizens not to be content with cosmetic changes and to keep pushing for lasting change. | 但民運人士敦促臺灣公民,不要滿足於表面的變化,要繼續推動持久的變革 |
| 8:32 | After four decades of the martial law, the restrictions around speech, journalism, and forming parties got lifted. | 經過 40 年的戒嚴,對言論、新聞、組黨的限制解除 |
| 8:43 | It was felt in my household and around Taiwan as an era of infinite possibilities.Nothing other than the party line were permitted.And then suddenly, everything is permitted. | 在我的家裡和臺灣各地,都感受到這是充滿無限可能的時代 原本只能遵循黨的路線,然後忽然間一切都被允許了 |
| 9:05 | The World Wide Web showed the future where the neighbors are configured according to shared values instead of just geographic coincidences. | 全球資訊網展示了一個未來,鄰居是根據共同價值觀 而不是僅僅根據地理上的巧合 |
| 9:20 | When I was fourteen, I thought, there's this great unknown, this great urgency of how internet is coming and nobody is prepared to face that transformation. | 14 歲時,我感覺到巨大的未知、巨大的緊迫感,關於網際網路的到來 而沒人準備好迎接那種變革 |
| 9:32 | Democracy is coming to Taiwan. | 民主正在來到臺灣 |
| 9:35 | Let's prepare ourselves.Let's slow down. Let's get ready for it. It's almost like this breaking out of the cocoon moment. | 讓我們做好準備,讓我們慢下來,讓我們為它做好準備,這幾乎就像破繭而出的時刻 |
| 9:44 | I needed to isolate myself, to retreat into a place without computers, without electricity And figure out what I really am. | 我需要把自己孤立起來,退到沒有電腦、沒有電的地方。弄清楚我到底是什麼 |
| 9:56 | So I told my mom that I need some time alone. | 所以我告訴媽媽,我需要一些時間獨處 |
| 10:02 | We discussed it, | 然後我們就討論了一下 |
| 10:04 | and I agreed to find Audrey a place. | 然後我就跟他說,那這樣我幫你借個地方 |
| 10:11 | I didn't know how many days I needed. | 我不知道我需要多少天 |
| 10:16 | I lost track of time. | 我忘記時間了 |
| 10:33 | I remember visualizing this gap between the traditional societal values and the new technology that are emerging, | 我記得在腦海中,展現出傳統社會價值與新興技術之間的差距 |
| 10:43 | and see this not as a chasm or as a cliff, | 我不會將它看作鴻溝或懸崖 |
| 10:48 | but just as a invitation, a crack in everything where light can get in. | 而是看作一種邀請:萬事萬物都有缺口,缺口就是光的入口 |
| 11:05 | Ever since then, she became much softer. | 回來了之後,他就變得非常的柔軟 |
| 11:24 | Really soft and very feminine. | 真的非常柔軟、非常女性化 |
| 11:31 | After the cabin, I refused to let gender stereotypes define me. | 小木屋回來後,我拒絕讓性別刻板印象定義我 |
| 11:39 | I am a pluralist. | 我是多元的人 |
| 11:41 | By pluralist, I mean that I'm non-binary.And this taking all the sides is also part of what I am. | 身為多元,也就是非二元的,「選每一邊站」是我的一部分 |
| 11:56 | Around turn of the century in Taiwan, internet and democracy are not two things. | 在世紀之交的臺灣,網際網路和民主不是兩回事 |
| 12:03 | Instead of some people practicing tech and some people practicing politics, | 不是某些人做技術,某些人做政治 |
| 12:08 | it’s the same generation of people. | 而是同一代人 |
| 12:13 | My friend CL Kao and I started organizing weekly gatherings. | 我和朋友高嘉良,開始在紫藤蘆茶館組織每週聚會 |
| 12:22 | With CL Kao, with Freddy Lim, with many civic hackers of the world,we're envisioning a society that is more transparent, more inclusive, more fair. | 和高嘉良、林昶佐,以及許多世界各地的公民黑客一起 設想更透明、更包容、更公平的社會 |
| 12:34 | The initial project was Gov Zero (g0v). | 「零時政府」(g0v)在一開始時 |
| 12:38 | It's a play of words on g, o, v, dot tw, which is Taiwan’s government.So for each governmental function, one can very easily just changing a letter to a digit, go to a shadow version of that website. | 是對 gov.tw 的文字遊戲,指的是臺灣政府。對於每個政府功能,人們可以很容易地把字母換成數字 來進入該網站的影子版本。 |
| 12:54 | The initial project of g0v started as a response to the Taiwanese government budget.That was not transparent enough. | g0v 最初的專案,是為了回應臺灣政府預算案 透明度不足 |
| 13:02 | There was no easy way for people to understand the budget. | 人們沒有簡單的方法來理解預算 |
| 13:07 | We created cutting edge visualization and interactive charts to make the state transparent to its people. | 我們創建了尖端的視覺化和互動圖表,使國家對人民透明 |
| 13:15 | At the beginning, when g0v wanted to promote open government and open data, | 一開始的時候,這個 g0v 要推動 開放政府跟開放資料的時候 |
| 13:21 | the civil servants within the government naturally resisted. | 這個政府裡面的公務員 當然是會抗拒嘛 |
| 13:42 | I was teleworking at the time when I read the call to get live streaming support, and I typed to my colleague, I have to leave now.Democracy needs me. | 當時我在遠端工作,看到尋求直播支持的呼籲 我打字告訴同事:「我現在得走了。民主需要我。」 |
| 13:53 | I brought a very long cable for an internet connection. | 我帶了很長的網路線 |
| 13:58 | I live streamed through Twitter to convey the sense of nonviolence,of our commitment to resolve this peacefully. | 通過推特分享直播,傳達非暴力的感受,我們致力於和平解決這個問題 |
| 14:06 | It went on well into the night, and then the students started breaking in. | 直播一直持續到深夜,然後學生開始闖入 |
| 14:16 | I watched rockstar Freddy Lim climb over the wall | 我在電視上,林昶佐,我看著他爬進去 |
| 14:20 | with my office right next to where they entered. | 我的辦公室就在他們進去的旁邊 |
| 14:23 | Just a week before, I was discussing cooperation with them. | 就是一個禮拜前,我還在跟他們談怎麼樣的合作,但是… |
| 14:29 | So I felt very conflicted. | 所以,非常複雜的心情 |
| 14:49 | Our live streaming would prove to be very important,because the next day, many mainstream media tried to portray the students as violent gangsters. | 我們的直播,後來證明非常重要,因為第二天 許多主流媒體試圖將學生描繪成暴力份子 |
| 15:29 | That live streaming account was powerful. | 直播很有力量 |
| 15:35 | For the first time, | 這是第一次 |
| 15:36 | people can see through each other's eyes on the street instead of just | 人們能透過彼此的視角來看街上的情況 |
| 15:42 | a few broadcasters mounting their camera in very predictable points. | 不只依賴少數廣播媒體在既定位置架設攝影機 |
| 15:46 | This made the government, at the time, | 這個事情讓當時政府裡面,他們意識到 |
| 15:50 | realize that they had to adopt some new technologies and new ways of communication. | 它必須要接受新的科技和新的溝通方式 |
| 16:01 | So, the government chose to compromise. | 所以,政府選擇了妥協 |
| 16:17 | The g0v community has a slogan that I really like. | 他們整個 g0v 社群,有一個口號,我很喜歡: |
| 16:22 | "Save the country with our keyboards." | 「用鍵盤救國」 |
| 16:26 | It is possible for democracy to evolve. | 民主是有可能進化的 |
| 16:30 | It is possible to come up with novel policies simply by asking the people, what should we do together? | 想要提出新的政策,只要問人民 「我們應該一起做什麼?」 |
| 16:44 | After the Sunflower Student Movement, the government wanted to promote Open Government, | 太陽花學運之後,前面的政府他們就想推動開放政府 |
| 16:50 | and they invited Audrey to become a Digital Minister. | 就邀請了唐鳳 後來成為數位政委 |
| 16:59 | The Ministry of Digital Affairs, helmed by Audrey Tang, has been focused on fighting cyber warfare, | 數位發展部在唐鳳領導下,對抗網路攻擊 |
| 17:04 | and this year, Taiwan is at a record low of election polarization. | 今年,臺灣選舉的兩極化程度創下新低 |
| 17:14 | Taiwan has always faced a significant threat | 臺灣一直面臨很強大的威脅 |
| 17:18 | from an authoritarian regime. | 來自極權政權的威脅 |
| 17:32 | It is possible that we wake up tomorrow and our freedom is taken away from us. | 那種脆弱 可能明天,可能就 我們的民主就不見了 |
| 17:41 | We must realize how fragile our democracy is. | 我想,我們當然就要 意識到這種危險 意識到這個脆弱 |
| 17:56 | The stakes for 2024 democratic contests will be enormous. | 2024 年民主競爭的風險將是巨大的 |
| 18:01 | Not just for the countries going to the polls, but for the world as a whole. | 不僅對於投票的國家,而是對整個世界 |
| 18:07 | Around half the world's population, four billion people are holding elections this year. | 大約一半的世界人口,40 億人,今年將舉行選舉 |
| 18:13 | These polls will decide who governs over 70 countries. | 結果將決定 70 個國家的統治者 |
| 18:17 | How is the 2024 democracy test going? | 2024 年民主測試進展如何? |
| 18:20 | The short answer: not particularly well. | 簡短的回答是,不太好 |
| 18:23 | Bangladesh's democracy is at a perilous moment. | 孟加拉的民主處於危險時刻 |
| 18:26 | Senegal President Macky Sall abruptly canceled the national election vote, alleging corruption. | 塞內加爾總統麥基·薩爾突然取消了全國選舉,指控存在腐敗 |
| 18:33 | The elections in Russia took place without a single influential competitor | 俄羅斯的選舉,在普丁沒有任何具影響力的對手的情況下進行 |
| 18:37 | Almost everyone agrees that democracy is declining in the 11 countries of Southeast Asia. | 幾乎所有人都認為東南亞 11 國的民主正在衰退 |
| 18:43 | There are over 161 million people registered to vote in the United States. | 美國有超過 1.61 億人註冊投票 |
| 18:48 | Americans will go to the polls on November 5th, 2024. | 美國人將在 2024 年 11 月 5 日投票 |
| 19:01 | If I do not practice this calmness, then maybe I'll die. | 如果我不練習這種平靜,也許我會死 |
| 19:08 | This coexistence of a strong and resilient body, and a mind that is acutely aware of the extinction risks reminds me of Taiwanese democracy. | 強壯、富有韌性的身體和敏銳意識到滅絕風險的頭腦共存 讓我想起臺灣民主 |
| 19:24 | We can lose our democracy. | 我們可能失去我們的民主 |
| 19:31 | But we have the ability to be resilient. | 但我們有強化韌性的能耐 |
| 19:40 | Every time the sun sets, I feel this urgency | 每次太陽落山,我都感到這種緊迫感 |
| 19:44 | that I may just disappear in the night, into the night. | 我可能就在夜晚消失,進入夜晚 |
| 19:53 | There is a coin flip in me somewhere | 我內心有個硬幣在翻轉,說: |
| 19:55 | that says you must publish before you go to sleep. | 「你必須在睡前發佈。」 |
| 20:02 | I insist on relinquishing copyright | 我堅持放棄版權 |
| 20:05 | because to me, if I disappear tomorrow, | 因為對我來說,如果我明天消失 |
| 20:09 | the future generations can make use of the materials that I have. | 後代可以運用我的素材 |
| 20:16 | I want to be a good enough ancestor for future generations. | 我想成為對後代足夠好的祖先 |
| 20:31 | And what happens Audrey. if you go to sleep tonight, you don't wake up tomorrow morning? | 唐鳳,如果你今晚睡著 明早卻沒醒過來,會怎樣? |
| 20:36 | Well then, I will be very satisfied | 嗯,我會很滿意,如果 |
| 20:41 | if you can just upload all this to the cloud so that future creators | 你能把這一切上傳到雲端 這樣未來的創作者,可以重組這個故事 |
| 20:46 | can remix from this story as part of the materials and free the future together. | 這樣未來的創作者,可以重組這個故事 運用這些素材,共創無限未來 |
| 20:52 | And where will you be? | 那你會在哪裡? |
| 20:55 | You die. Where are you going? | 你死了,你要去哪裡? |
| 20:57 | Well, in the cloud. Right? | 嗯,在雲端,對吧? 你已經答應要上傳到雲端 |
| 21:00 | You agreed to upload it to the cloud. | 你已經答應要上傳到雲端 |
- 取得連結
- X
- 以電子郵件傳送
- 其他應用程式
- 取得連結
- X
- 以電子郵件傳送
- 其他應用程式
留言